9' Knabe query

David M. Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Sat, 02 Sep 2000 17:49:21 -0500

Bill:

We have a Mason & Hamlin CC (9') at SMU with the serial number 1795.  It
was made in about 1983.  In the 1970s I worked for a Knabe, Mason & Hamlin
dealer.  Both the Knabe and Mason & Hamlin listed 9' pianos at that time.
The only real difference in the published specs was the Knabe didn't have
the "Tension Resonator" in it.  All other specs were the same.  That store
never ordered or sold one while I was there.

dave

On 9/2/00 at 11:16 AM Bdshull@AOL.COM wrote:

>Jon:
>
>I rebuilt a similar piano, as well as a Chickering 9' with a low 5 digit
>serial #.  There is no doubt the Chickering was from the twentieth
century;
>both pianos were the modern designs from their respective manufacturers.
>Paul Monachino did not know the answer to my question, and suggested Paul
>Emerson or others with long Rochester factory experience.  I wonder
whether
>Jack Wyatt knows;  I posted the same question about my Chickering last
year,
>and emailed Jack privately, but he might have missed my post since he was
>very under the weather, I learned shortly afterwards.  I would love to
find
>the number series for these 9' American Piano Company (I think) grands.
>
>Bill Shull, RPT
>University of Redlands, La Sierra University, Riverside City College
>Loma Linda, CA
>
>In a message dated 9/2/00 4:57:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
>jonpage@mediaone.net writes:
>
><<
> Knabe concert grand, serial number 10783
>
> Did Knabe have a different number series for this size?
>
> My atlas places it ~1865 but the salezman claims it to be 90
> years old.
>
> Any info would be appreciated and will be forwarded to the
> potential purchaser whose request was forwarded from another list.
>
> Thanks, and have a great weekend;  me. . .
> I'm off to work on some S&S grand dampers because the people
> are 'down for the weekend'.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jon Page,   piano technician
> Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.