Tone Deaf/perfect pitch

RustRazor@AOL.COM RustRazor@AOL.COM
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 12:09:45 EDT

Perfect Pitch - The ability for someone to hear music and, without any
reference, be able to identify what the notes are.  I have seen ads in Sheet
Music magazine for a tutorial which promises to develop this ability in
people who don't have it, but as far as I know a person is either born with
the ability or not.  I have known people who have perfect pitch and heard
some describe their hearing ability in terms of "color" but I don't believe
they mean C is red, C# is blue, etc.  It's just another example of the
inadequacy of words.

Tone Deaf - A slang expression describing one's lack of musical
understanding.  Someone who is tone deaf may not be able to tell which of two
sampled notes is higher in pitch or certainly whether or not a piano is out
of tune.

People who are "tone deaf" may be taught how to hear.  After all, we learned
how to hear certain things when we learned tuning.  There are also ways in
which good relative pitch may be developed.  I speak from personal
experience.

-Matt Wynne, NY