A 440

Kristinn Leifsson istuner@islandia.is
Fri, 08 Sep 2000 08:51:17 +0000

I did that yesterday.

A lady that bought an overdamper piano in an antiques store in Denmark...
duhhh...   hadnīt had it tuned for twenty years.

It was a (musical) half step flat.

Strings had a hint of rust, and the tuning pins were ugly looking.
There was this white condensational stuff around  some places that gave me
a bad feeling.  Have no idea what that was.
Tuning pins still had some element of "tightishness" in them.

The bass and tenor were actually a lot sharper than the rest.  Which made
me worry about pin block separation, but no areas were excessively flat, so
I didnīt know about that.  This huge piano was standing on tiny wheels on a
soft wooden floor.  Just me and her in the house, so I decided not to pull
it forward to look at the block.  The sound board, however was totally
undamaged giving me a hint of the overall wood state, so I went ahead and
tuned it, and LOWERED the bass.
She just used it herself a little bit, didnīt even play it any more since
the dampers hadnīt damped since the last time it was moved.

I tuned it where it was, and fixed the damping.

Sheīs (knowledgeably) happy.  Iīm (omnisciently) happy.

It sounded "O.K." as well as these things can sound,( Terry Farrell, thatīs
my input for your previous post :) )
But oh, did my relatively well trained relative pitch sense shudder when
that song that I played "just didnīt seem right"

No regrets and best regards,

Kristinn Leifsson,
Reykjavík, Iceland