pianos in freezing temps.

Marcel Carey mcpiano@globetrotter.net
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 19:48:22 -0400

I've had one instance where the cottage was closed for the winter and =
the piano is exactly at 440 every time I tune it, every 10 years. I =
think that if the cottage is not used during the winter, the temperature =
changes will happen slowly and gradually. Usually, these cottages are =
quite damp all year round. So personnally, I would not be afraid to wait =
and see. If you have access to the piano every year, you'll know after =
the secon year. On the other hand, if the owners are going to use the =
cottage but only on weekends, then I would be very alarmed. Then they =
are going to heat up the place and you'll get  condensation on the plate =
and strings. The tuning will go up and down in a dramatic way too.

You never mentioned what kind of piano would be left there in the cold. =
If it's an old upright, they have not a lot to loose.

my 2=A2

Marcel Carey
Sherbrooke, Qu=E9bec
Where the winters are cold and long.
    Tom Driscoll wrote:=20

        A client asked why a piano shouldnt be in a very cold space, =
i.e. Winter in northern N.E. in an unheated home. Reaction to extreme =
humidity swings is well known, but what actually happens to a piano @10 =
degrees  F. for example when brought to 70 degrees within a few hours. =
Thanks ,Tom Driscoll RPT  =20
    --=20
    Richard Brekne=20
    RPT, N.P.T.F.=20