Erard value

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 09:11:44 -0400

Hi John. I will share with you some of my newfound expertise (very new, and
very limited) on dating 19th century grands. A few of my posts the other day
and the responses should help you, but I will summarize here.

Re-check Pierce. Erard is French. The serial number/date you identified in
your post is for a Paris-made Erard. Apparently there were a few Erards made
in London by brother Sebastian Erard. Those are listed (limited info) below
the Paris Erard. Using the London serial numbers, your piano would have been
manufactured in the early 1860s. Stephen Birkett gave me some pretty
definitive info (also is consistent with info in the book "Piano" by David
Crombie) on these eras of pianos. IN GENERAL, a piano from the 1820s will
not have a full plate - likely not any plate (Broadwood used the ?first?
hitch pin plate around 1827, I think). The piano from the 1860s will likely
have a hitch pin plate, and maybe even some iron/steel over and/or around
the pinblock and be connected to the hitch pin plate with some type of
struts. Pianos manufactured prior to 1850 had less than 85 notes (and
presumably some after that date). So if your piano is 85 (or more) notes, it
is most likely from the 1860s era, if it has less than 85 notes, it MAY be
from prior to 1850 (but I do not think necessarily).

I think those are the two main ways to differentiate between these two eras
on MOST pianos. Anyone with specific knowledge regarding Erards will likely
have all sort of specific info.

Regarding value I will quote Stephen - PLEASE keep in mind that his quote
was directed at my inquiry regarding a Broadwood piano. In my humble and
largely uninformed opinion, his comment MAY be germane to your Erard. "An
1824 Broadwood would have some antique value, which would change things, but
your 1870 has no particular antique value. Different and interesting,
though - so worth restoring, but not valuable." My guess is that this would
work with your piano. Send him or someone else a picture and get some more
definitive info! Good luck. Please keep us posted what you find out and what
you do with it. I'll take it for free!

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida