Tone quality

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 19:23:27 -0500

-------------------------------
>Robin Blankenship

Hi Robin,
My first guess, with the qualification that the two strings were a good
match originally, is corrosion. Two fairly widely dissimilar metals in
contact in the presence of an electrolyte will corrode. The steel core is
the more electrochemically reactive of the copper alloy/steel combination,
and with enough room humidity, will rust slightly over a period of time.
The changes in stiffness, density, friction between copper and steel, and
between the copper wraps will alter the partial structure of the string.
The strings don't necessarily both change at the same rates and in the same
manner, so they become harder to tune together, and to anything else, as
time goes on. Trichords are at least half again as bad (more, in my
opinion), as bichords. That is, if you can get strings made so a wrapped
trichord is tunable in the first place.

On further consideration, I think that's my second guess too.

Ron N