False Beats

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 10:06:17 -0400

Terry wrote in part

>  do you get nice clean sides, or are they kinda choppy? Any
>problems with this (actually I would think a bit rough surface will give a
>better glue joint!)?

I'm no wood & glue technology authority -- but R. Bruce Hoadley is,
and he slapped that myth down in his class in Providence a couple
years ago. Eminent techs in the audience responded "but the master
craftsman in the factory in Germany TOLD me the surfaces needed to be
roughened!!" Shall we worship tradition or utilize scientific
knowledge?

Patrick