History

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:25:50 -0400

> ..ok..how many piano tuners are there in your little community?..doesn't
> that count also?!?
>
> Rook

One, just me, and I am essentially retired.  I am real busy
if I tune one or two a week.  A little pocket money for me
and for my college student daughter.

There is a job at Columbia University, full time, 50
instruments, $45-50K plus bennies but I am not interested
although it does sound interesting.  I just have too much
retirement things to do.

My house currently is a disaster area.  I have completed a
new ceiling in my bedroom (removal of old drop ceiling,
crumbling plaster and lots of lath and dirt and mess), new
drywall, taping and bedding and paint (hateful jobs).  I had
help lifting 4'x8'x5/8" sheets but I did the rest.  Now I
have to paint the walls, clean the carpet and return the
furniture.

I am storing furniture for a friend and I have a 5'3"
dismembered all over the place.

The poor dog has trouble finding places where she can turn
around because the paths are narrow going from room to
room.  I have been sleeping on the couch for over a month
now and I am TIRED of it.

The piano board is refinished, the plate sprayed and the
pinblock fitted but not punch marked yet.  The action needs
new hammers and shanks (actually the old could do but why
use 80 year old suff) and half the damper blocks have been
cleaned, unfelted and wires polished.  WN&G action.

As soon as the block is drilled I will be ready to set the
plate and string.  Amazingly the key bushings are good
(polish pins and lubricate) the wippens (SP!!!) are good the
keyframe needs felt as does the damper action.  Rescaling
will improve the basic tone and make it more tunable.

A nice little project when I can find the darned thing.

So I am the only tuner in town and very few know I am here.
I like it that way.

		Newton