Enlightenment

Susan Kline sckline@home.com
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 07:29:51 -0700

At 09:40 AM 09/26/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>I have discovered that CA fails over time on ivory repair.

It has been my experience, Jon, that the people who
have trouble with CA failing later tend to come from dry
climates. Did you use it in the winter?

Ted Sambell, up in the dry air of Banff, was underwhelmed
with CA too, when he first tried it.

Adding CA to white glue _should_ fix the problem. Care to
try it and see? For keytops which are loose at the front, a
procedure might be to put just a drop or two of Elmer's
on a thin steel, get it under the keytop in front and smear
it around, then turn the key on end and lay down a line
of CA at the seam, pulling the keytop out a little to
encourage the CA to wick in. If you use the glues together,
it should take only a little of either to work. In fact,
a little CA often works better than a lot. Okay, it's
crazy ... but true.

Susan