Pinblock cracks

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 09:40:04 EDT

In a message dated 9/27/00 3:47:40 AM Central Daylight Time, dnu@fx.ro writes:

<< Thanks for the name:

 You're welcome! Why did you ask? Didn't it seem like a name or...?

With a name like mine, (Willem or Wim), I don't question anyone else's name.I
thanked you for your name because it is a practice on this list to include
your name when you write.

(snip)

 > What you are seeing is not cracks in the pin block, but cracks in the
 veneer
 > that covers the pin block. These small cracks next to the pins are
 cosmetic

 I hope they are only in the veneer. But I heard that old pinblocks are made
 of a few thick layers of solid wood, not veneer. Maybe you can help here.

 > problems, at best. I wouldn't worry about them. The only time pin block
 > cracks have to be dealt with is when the torque of the pin is effected,
 and
 > then only when the torque is getting to the point of tuning instability.

 I see. Currently, they don't seem to have a noticeable effect on the tuning,
 so I'll leave them alone. I thought of repairing them because I'm just
 restoring the piano's finish.

As Richard Brenke mentioned, unless you're replacing the strings and pins,
which would make filling in the cracks a lot easier, the effort of trying to
fill the cracks with the pins in place is not worth the effort. I don't know
how many layers a Bechstein block has, but the veneer is very thin, and will
crack a lot easier than the pin block material.

 Thanks!

 Calin >>

Willem