Teflon spray

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 09:39:47 -0600

Hi Susan,
               Baby powder has a lanolin additive, in our climate it will
make matters worse not better. Dry Teflon powder's is the only way to fly
in my book.
Rep levers and jack's that are painted with graphite, I burnish with hammer
felt scraps. This also seems to help.You need to polish the graphite to the
point that very little will transfer to the knuckle.  It will look shiny.
If it is dull in colour, this can be part of the problem.
The knuckles, we raise the nap with a brass brush, prior to rubbing in
Teflon powder.
TFL50 dry Teflon spray will work, but does not seem to be as long lasting.
Band aid fixes on knuckles can cause major head aches later.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Roger

>If this grand isn't far away, you might just use talcum powder
>(baby powder will do in a pinch), rubbing it into the knuckles,
>and go back later when you have the teflon powder. Better than
>using some spray which you haven't tested.
>
>Susan
>
>At 04:07 PM 09/26/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>>List,
>>
>>I'm needing to lubricate the knuckles on a grand that I service, and I
>>was going to order some teflon powder from Spurlock, but found out too
>>late that he's closed until October 1.  I found some teflon spray at the
>>home improvement store, marketed as "Lock Lubrication Spray" and says it
>>contains PTFE (teflon), but doesn't say what else.  There is also a
>>teflon spray in the sporting goods section at Wal-Mart put out by Outers.
>>  It says it has 3-Way action and is marketed for firearms, so I'm not
>>sure if it has other additives besides teflon.  Anybody have any first
>>hand experience with teflon sprays from hardware or sporting goods
>>stores?  What are the cautions?  Could there be other additives in there
>>that would harm the piano?  I've got to have the teflon by Thursday, so
>>that's not enough time to order from a supply house without paying
>>through the nose for overnight delivery.  Any suggestions?
>>
>>Todd L. Mapes
>>PTG Associate Member
>>Fort Smith, AR
>>YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET!
>>Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
>>Try it today - there's no risk!  For your FREE software, visit:
>>http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.
306-665-0213