felt knuckles????

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 08:11:38 -0400

>List:  I was servicing an older S&S "L" today and had to pull the action.
>  About 1/2 of the shanks had knuckles that were felt ONLY - no buckskin.
>Did Steinway ever use that style of knuckle??

You win the prize! But only half of them? Somebody didn't have enough
in stock to replace the whole set, I guess. I've only had a couple
pianos with this problem -- does anybody out there know how long this
was being done (sometime in the 50s &/or 60s, I thiink, but
fortunately not very long).

Patrick Draine