1961 Winter Baby Grand- Cleaning soundboard

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 17:49:52 -0700 (PDT)

I've hit the reply button about three times now,
thinking I'd have to say something about this
thread...  and then didn't send what I started to
write.

There are certainly pieces of an exterior that
could be useful to have around.  A hinge?  A
lock?  A misc. action part?  A set of pedals?
Maybe a music rack?  A lid?  (Can you tell I'm a
pack rat??)

As for the plate of the piano, I would say that
to most people, perhaps even most technicians, a
used plate wouldn't be of any particular value.
They are not interchangable as you might be
thinking it would be.

However...  COULD it be used in another piano of
dissimilar make?  Maybe, maybe not.  If you were
making a new soundboard and bridges, and a new
pinblock, it probably could be fit into a
different frame with possibly some modifications
to the back frame.  It would be most likely that
the action would need to be modified as well to
accomodate any differences in string spacing /
layout.  (And a few other things as well...)

Can it be done?  Maybe.  Is it worth it?
Probably not for the money.  It's the kind of
project that might be fun if I had money to burn
and nothin' in particular to do.

Just my two cents.

Hope others have enjoyed this thread too.  :-)

Take care,

Brian

=====
Brian Trout