Cost of Fear(was prices)

Scott Jackson jurjens@tpg.com.au
Wed, 01 Aug 2001 12:21:53 +1000

>     When an appliance repairman comes to my house, spends 22 minutes
>installing a $25 timer in my refridgerator, and bills me $135,  it makes me
>think.  He is working on something that costs $700, and makes almost $90 per
>hour.  When I belly up to that $25,000 grand, and spend 90 minutes pounding
>my knuckles into mush,  what should I get?

Hi Ed,
	I recently had a window pane replaced. Cost of glass: about 20 Australian dollars. Labour: A$77 plus 10% tax. Again
probably a 20 minute job, making the rate around A$150 per hour for what i would think is a relatively low skill job.
	How much a workman can charge has more to do with how essential the service is perceived by the customer. You
NEED your refrigerator to work; I NEEDED a window (it is winter over here!); People NEED plumbing to work. Most people see
(hear) no NEED to have their piano tuned: it works OK.......
	How many calls do you get because of a sticky key, or sqeaky pedal, or maybe a rattle or funny noise! People call when
they perceive something isn't working correctly. Most people have very little perception of tuning problems. Only a very bad unison
will get their attention. I often here people say a piano is "out of tune" when really what's bothering them is voicing or weak tone.
What we are up against is ignorance on the part of the piano owners.
	The interesting thing about our job is that it is easier for us to work on a $25,000 grand than an old clapper. Therefore
should it be worth more to us to work on the old clapper than the new grand?

Just my thoughts....
SWJ

Scott Jackson
Jurjens Pianos