1961 Winter Baby Grand- Cleaning soundboard

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Wed, 01 Aug 2001 06:38:53 -0400

At 08:41 PM 07/31/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks for the suggestions. I already have my shop setup with 3 8ft tables and
>my dad's old cheep dining room table for work surface. The shop is just under
>600 square feet and currently has the baby grand, 3 old uprights, a console, a
>spinet, an old wurlitzer spinet organ and a Conn 3 manual theater organ.
>Not to
>mention 5 pinball machines.

I can see keeping the pinball machines to break the monotony, but the organs
have to go. There is no market for them, parts can be even harder to find.
For instance, the only used organ which has value is a Hammond B3, all others
are scrap.

>I look at the possiblitiy of heavy shelving though to store the wood parts
>taken off the pianos for repairs.

The keybed from an upright makes a good shelf as does the bottom board and lid.
The letoff rail will hold a set of grand dampers, (remove the eye screws
and slightly enlarge the holes).

A great parts rack idea which I got from Dave Koelzer is to attach two
2x4's to the wall with hinges.
Drill for and insert electrical metal conduit into the 2 x's. These can
swing out of the way if need be.
For a rack which will hold parts during refinishing, cover the metal
conduit with pipe insulation.

>Currently I am marking them with chalk on the underside and stacking them
>along the walls to keep track
>of what belongs where. I wish I knew what kind of wood the side boards
>were made of. I did save the desk,
>shelf and fall board. I am going to try to build a bench out of them to
>match one of the old uprights that
>doesn't have one. I did save every bit of hardware from the piano, the
>keys (not sure why but they might
>fit another in the event of a badly chewed or broken key), the pedals and
>the bass bridge which was in
>good condition. I also saved the strings even though several broke during
>removal. I wanted to practice
>making the loops before begining the work on the baby grand.

To identify parts, I prefer to place masking tape in an inconspicuous spot
and write with a pen, chalk
can have a tendency to become permanent. Building an bench is more costly
than buying a cheap one.
Same goes for refinishing, unless the matching bench style is not available
from a supplier; and used
benches will be used with reconditioned pianos.

The keys can be used to make plugs for other keys which have had the lead
removed for touchweight but
I don't expect you to get to that point for a few years yet. As for bass
strings: tools can be made from the
single wires such as glue applicators, grand hammer
lifter-to-string-for-spacing. Cut the hitch pin winding off
and cut the string 5 or 6 inches into the winding for a handle. finish the
winding end with a file or sander. Now
you'll have handy wire-tools, bend a few wires at the end 90 degrees for a
hammer lifter and glue applicator
for those broken upright jack supports.

Don't start saving too much...DAMHIK.  I still have the pedals from old
dismantled upright after 25 years, want 'em?
The bass bridge will look nice hanging on the wall as a decoration, you'll
never use it for anything else besides
firewood.

>I can't begin to say how much I learned from taking that piano apart. I feel
>very lucky to have a husband who is willing to do most of the work in
>moving the
>pianos, tearing them apart and allowing my to use most of the addition he
>built
>onto the house to keep them in. He does not play at all but seems to be
>getting
>interested in piano tuning and repair.
>
>Judy

As far as moving goes, look into a trailer as opposed to a truck. Low
low maintenance.  Get more dollies and pads.

Welcome to the world of piano repair, I wish you good fortune in your
endeavors.

Best Regards,
Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.