Reshaping VS new hammers

Bob Luderer Bluderer@sloanandcompany.com
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 09:05:28 -0400

I am considering replacing or reshaping the hammers in my 1926 Steinway
model M.  Hammers are Steinway, were last replaced in 1966.  Voicing no
longer is able to resolve the tonal variation, they are just too worn for
that.  However my tech (not an RPT) thinks that reshaping will get a few
more years out of them and bring the tone back to what it should be.  I
would be interested in your thoughts on this......I wonder how this will
affect the "feel" of the instrument, there was talk of lubing the action
with graphite as well........

Bob Luderer
Acctg & IS Manager