Reshaping VS new hammers - Condition etc

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 01 Aug 2001 22:43:37 -0500

>All due respect, charging what you're worth is not synonymous with
>overcharging.
>
>David Love

Fair enough, David, and I agree in principal. So who or what determines the
difference? Is it what the market will bear, cumulative public outrage
(even though within what the market will bear), specific private outrage of
self appointed watchdogs, an industry wide conspiracy of price fixing
policies, or a random judgement call? Doesn't the free enterprise system
imply a self balancing dynamic where the over pricers are weeded out by non
participation of the victims, and the under pricers starve as they work
themselves to death? Isn't the whole point of being in business to squeeze
the maximum buck out of every minute of our professional existence so we
can quit doing it as early as possible with as comfortable a retirement
income as we can manage within all the limitations?

Ok, maybe that's a tad on the extreme side, but my point in making that
post is that no one seems to be proposing a definitive standard as to what
constitutes undercharging, overcharging, or charging just right. Everyone
has an opinion, but no criteria. In any given region, for any given
clientele, as it relates to the technical and political skill level of any
given tech, and the type of work that tech is actually doing, it is nearly
utterly pointless to argue what does or doesn't constitute an ethical
price/performance ratio. Pricing according to who's taller or wears the
ugliest socks is, in the long run, a saner and more easily determinable
criteria - and doesn't in itself make any more (or less) sense than what I
read here daily. This stuff can, and apparently will be debated to the last
dying breath of the species, but is never going to be quantified to the
point where any of us folks discussing it can give any acceptable
indication that we know what the heck we're talking about - so why is so
much time and energy expended in this unproductive direction? Is it logic
or glands talking? Being a closet hopeful in spite of overwhelming evidence
to the contrary, I'm looking for evidence of logic, but the doubts are
mounting.

Incidentally, while I really do appreciate the "all due respect", I don't
consider it a factor in points of logic and technicality. For what it's worth.

Ron N