Reshaping VS new hammers

Tom J Armstrong pianostom@juno.com
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 22:36:52 -0700

The hammers you have may or may not need replacing.  There are too many
unknowns to give an answer here.

I suggest that you let your technician demonstrate what can be done with
a couple of hammers in the middle and mid treble section.  Then you can
listen and judge for yourself.  Maybe he is on the right track.  I
question anyone who is using graphite in piano actions, though.  $2K is
excessive in my opinion, too.  If he isn't someone you really have
confidence in, certainly don't have him do any major replacements.  It
may very well be time for new hammers, shanks, flanges, and other things.
 It is very sad to see some of the "work" on potentially fine instruments
nowadays!  A Steinway grand is worth spending major dollars on.  Make
sure you have a GOOD technician do it right.

If you need a top notch referral, ask this list for references and give
your geographic area.  Not every RPT is great, and not every non-RPT is
bad.  You might be amazed at the difference a good technician can make
out of a so-so piano.

Tom Armstrong, RPT