baldwin hamiltons -- question

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 11:45:07 -0700 (PDT)

I have been curious as to what gives the 45" Baldwin
Hamilton from a few decades ago (the ones I often find
in schools) its bright tone?  is it the hammers?  I
was wondering what it would take to give my piano a
tone like that?  My piano is a 56" Ricca & Son and if
you want to hear what it currently sounds like
(actually the recording was before I filed the hammers
-- it's not that much different now either) I have
some clips at http://briefcase.yahoo.com/stephen_airy
-- click on piano stuff then My Ricca & Son Piano --
there's some stuff there.
I'd appreciate knowing if it's the hammers, or the
stringing scale that gives Hamiltons their tone, or
whatever it is.  My specific area of interest is
basically from C below Middle C (or wherever the
lowest plain string is) to C above Middle C.