new Baldwin Pin Torque, was PianoTechList Comments

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 12:23:54 -0700 (PDT)

Sounds reasonable.

But pursuing it just a shade farther...

I'm thinking of a plastic drinking cup.
(Somewhat flexible.)  If I take my fingers and
place them inside the cup on opposite sides of
the rim and pull apart, it will distort.  The
distance between my fingers will get larger.  But
when that happens, the distance between parts
fartherest away from my fingers got smaller,
pretty much by the same ammount.

I know I'm reaching here, but would the concept
carry over at all in our pinblock example?  (It
may not, I'm just asking.)

It would seem to me that if we used a rigid
cylinder to simulate a tuning pin in the plastic
cup example, that as the stretching occured in
one direction, a compression would be happening
in a direction 90 degrees from that.

I know there would be things happening in wood
that would skew my images, but I would wonder in
the multilaminate pinblock with a lot of
laminations if I'm still so far out to lunch.??

Hmmm... haven't had lunch yet today... maybe
that's what's wrong!! :-)  ;-)

(No offense intended, just thinkin' outloud... or
perhaps stirring the pot?!!)  :-)

Brian T

--- Susan Kline <sckline@home.com> wrote:
> Hi, Brian
> I don't picture the hole as a perfect cylinder,
> Brian.
> As soon as the ends of the board bow downward,
> the
> top becomes longer than before, and the tops of
> the holes spread, while the bottom of the holes
> compress. But if the pins don't reach to the
> bottom
> of the holes, but instead are more influenced
> by
> the top?
>
> You see the vice versa, don't you? Bow the ends
> of
> the board up, the top is in compression, and
> the holes
> get smaller at the top but bigger at the
> bottom?
>
> Wiser heads, is this what happens?
>
> Well, if we imagine it with something stretchy,
> like bread
> dough? I'm assuming that the wood is at least a
> little
> stretchy; otherwise the pinblock would just
> break.
>
> Susan

=====
Brian Trout