new Baldwin Pin Torque, was PianoTechList Comments

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 02 Aug 2001 16:16:26 -0500

>It would seem to me that if we used a rigid
>cylinder to simulate a tuning pin in the plastic
>cup example, that as the stretching occured in
>one direction, a compression would be happening
>in a direction 90 degrees from that.

Except that even cellulose fiber reinforced glue has some elastic
compliance (or it wouldn't work at all as a pinblock (I know (I know))),
and should stretch under tension so the hole would widen in the direction
of tension more than it would narrow perpendicular to that line.
Conversely, it should compress more in the direction of compression than
the holes would deform out perpendicular to it. Looks like someone is going
to have to try it and see.

Where are all those questers after truth and knowledge when you need one?

Ron N