Protek & Teflon

thepianoarts thepianoarts@home.com
Fri, 03 Aug 2001 22:44:21 -0500

Ken,

   My guess is that the Protek had little effect on the hammer shank flange
friction, and that your improvment came about with the knuckle resistence
reduction.  The teflon bushing on a 72' S&S which has not been repinned,
should be low to begin with.
   I apply the teflon powder to the front key pins, and the sharp key pins
also, (lift up the action to access the sharp front key pin backs)  and
brush it on with a 2" high quality natural bristle (china)  paint brush. If
you are a complete fanatic like me, you will also find that brushing the
balance rail key pin tops, will allow enough teflon powder to work its way
to the friction points of both the bushings and the bottom hole.
   Furverent adherants will also brush the exiler onto the key end felt,
which will reduce the friction at the underlver/key , and while the action
is @ 90 degrees to the bed, one can treat the key frame contact points, una
corde slot, and with a determined reach, the dags and return spring. Did I
mention the frame pins?

PS  A slight reduction of down weight can also be secured by setting the
jack to knuckle position a little lean. Comprende?

Dan Reed