Protek & Teflon

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 08:59:38 -0400

> Using a real fine metal polish (Brasso is far too
> crude) the metal can be polished......

I'm not familiar with "Brasso". The woman that does my key bushings also
will "clean the key pins". She uses #0000 steel wool. That leaves the pins
clean, but visibly dulled. I have always figured this to be a bad thing, as
the roughened surface would be of greater friction than a super-smooth
surface, and also dramatically increase surface area and thus increase the
rate of future corrosion. I have always taken a metal polish to them after I
get them back and polished them. She says the steel wool is the way to go. I
have my doubts about it being the BEST way to go. Can I assume you agree
with me?

Terry Farrell