Class notes - Overs action design

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 00:23:18 +1000

Greetings to all list folk,

Before I forget Carl, enjoyed your reply concerning my hat in the ring.

Last week before I returned to Sydney, Dale Erwin and David Love were
discussing my Action Design class notes and their availability on the
list. Dale suggested that I should post my notes to our website. Well
folks they're now up! Please feel free to print off the notes for
your own personal use.

For those of you who can view frame sets, just go to our website at;

http://www.overspianos.com.au  then click on 'technical stuff' in the
side frame. A sub index will appear in the main window. Click on 'PTG
Reno 2001 convention lecture' and the notes will load into the main
window. For those who cannot view frame sets, the class notes window
can be viewed at;

http://www.overspianos.com.au/rno2001.html

I've revised the class notes, since they were originally prepared in
rather a hurry.

Some of you may wish to print the diagram of the Overs action off our
site, to use as a reference while reading the class notes. This
drawing can be viewed at;

http://www.overspianos.com.au/actn.jpeg

You will notice that the earlier jack in the drawings is different to
the one you saw at Reno - it has been revised - in the piano and in
the patent documents.

You can print the drawing, or just drag it to your desktop from the
browser window (at least you can do this on a Mac) to gain permanent
access to the drawing without being online. Can IBM uses do this also?

A note on our action in piano No. 003 at Reno.

After Reno we took the piano down to LA to set it up for a couple of
industry representatives to inspect. While preparing the piano I
found that the capstans were quite corroded. I did not find this in
Reno. Since the action was assembled just before the piano was
shipped to the US, I had assumed that the capstans would not require
any further polishing. How wrong I was. The piano was packed for
shipment in Sydney without being fully sealed within the crate.
During the flight the cold conditions had caused condensation on the
capstans which allowed the heel cloth to corrode the surface of the
capstans. They were very rough to the feel. After polishing the
capstans and guide pins in LA the action improved considerably. I
didn't take any measurements. When we get the piano set up again in
Sydney, I will post the DW UW figures to the list.

It was unfortunate that I didn't get onto the corrosion problem at
Reno, because the action would certainly have been more free. Anyhow,
we will take appropriate precautions when shipping in future.

Should there be any questions on the class notes, please fire them up
to the list.

Best regards,

Ron O

--