Class notes - Overs action design/capstan corrosion

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 16:18:28 EDT

Ron,

Considering the incredible pianissimo control of the action at the convention
even with the capstan corrosion and a bit wide aftertouch, I sure would have
liked to play it in LA!   I assume that the extent friction is managed in
this design permits some problems to develop, while maintaining a pretty good
performance level.

Bill Shull

<< After Reno we took the piano down to LA to set it up for a couple of
 industry representatives to inspect. While preparing the piano I
 found that the capstans were quite corroded. I did not find this in
 Reno. Since the action was assembled just before the piano was
 shipped to the US, I had assumed that the capstans would not require
 any further polishing. How wrong I was. The piano was packed for
 shipment in Sydney without being fully sealed within the crate.
 During the flight the cold conditions had caused condensation on the
 capstans which allowed the heel cloth to corrode the surface of the
 capstans. They were very rough to the feel. After polishing the
 capstans and guide pins in LA the action improved considerably. I
 didn't take any measurements. When we get the piano set up again in
 Sydney, I will post the DW UW figures to the list.

 It was unfortunate that I didn't get onto the corrosion problem at
 Reno, because the action would certainly have been more free. Anyhow,
 we will take appropriate precautions when shipping in future.>>

 Best regards, >>