Under an hour tuning (was labor rates)

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Mon, 06 Aug 2001 14:06:11 +0200

Farrell wrote:

> I like the time slot approach Richard. But how do you respond to the
> telephone inquiry of "well, all I want to do is just tune my piano - how
> long does that take - won't that be less?" Or maybe you just don't run into
> that very often.
>
> Terry Farrell

Simple :) ... I just tell them I dont do that. Actually tho, when you first
mention this possibility, I dont think its ever come up. People call in and want
their piano tuned....and perhaps this or that "fixed".... but mostly they think
in terms of getting it tuned. My policy is simply to set off 1.5 hours to
service the piano with tuning being the first priority.. Its not like I go out
of my way to tell them that I actually might need a bit less time to do just the
tuning part. If I did well I might run into a few folks who'd want to try and
save a couple extra dollars or so I suppose. One might be tempted to point out
that perhaps I am guilty of charging people for work they havent ordered......
to which I would reply that my 1.5 hour time slots are competively priced with
what a tuning price typically is otherwise, and that besides the piano that
doesnt need (read "cant very much benifit from" )an extra half hour or so basic
maintainance doesnt exist. If one was to insist beyond this reasoning that there
is some unfairness to my policy then I would have to resort to.... "hey this
isnt a perfect world" and "fortunatly for you there are other piano tuners out
there"...... with a freindly smile on my face mind you.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.