Steinway

Bob Luderer Bluderer@sloanandcompany.com
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 08:29:21 -0400

Interesting "rant"  You are of course comparing the price of a new Steinway
to the price of a used (abused) Steinway.  Remember apples to apples.  You
should look at the cost of *that* instrument new to truly test whether or
not the instrument held its value.  My *reconditioned* 1927 M cost my
parents $2,500 in 1965. (probably paid too much for it) I was recently
offered $14,000 for the instrument, which requires some work (as the list
knows) due to playing it too frequently :>() I'd say that the instrument
held its value relatively well.

HOWEVER one should not be purchasing a Steinway as an investment.  One
should purchase a Steinway because they like the way it plays.
Unfortunately the darn things are sooooooo expensive (new ebony  M is 37,500
list) that most *normal* people can't afford to buy them!  HENCE the strong
secondary market.  It is all about supply and demand.  Are they worth it?
I've played many different instruments, If you find an excellent example of
each, so far, Steinway is worth it.  (Although I played a Bosendorfer that
came really close!)

Unless