..while on vacation..

Phil Bondi tito@PhilBondi.com
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 07:05:09 -0400

I got to see part of a Hamburg Steinway 'C' ..they claim circa 1897.

The piano was in its own separate room off of the stage of this town hall
activities center.

The person at the desk was kind enough to let me take a look at it..when I
got there, there was, of course, a cover on it, a lock on the fallboard(my
fallboard lock key wouldn't fit the MasterLock), and it was buried in the
back of this room. I had very little room to work with, so I didn't 'abuse
the privlidge' by trying to access it too much.

It appeared to be a 7'er .. am I close?

According to the news article that originally caught my interest in this,
the piano was once owned by a Frank Hanson, former technician for
Tanglewood. The name didn't ring any bells for me.

I was able to lift enough of the cover to take a look at the front part of
the plate..I didn't notice the word 'Hamburg' anywhere on the plate..

I wish I could have played it..it looked like it was re-whatevered from top
to bottom.

oh well..back to work,
roo(k)