Knabe Square Grand

Clark Sprague clark@evola.com
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 14:10:06 -0400

List,  I was sent on an appraisal today, the subject being a beautiful =
Knabe Square Grand piano, serial #18200.  This number was stamped on an =
edge of the lid.  I am not knowledgeable about these, so I said that I =
would do some research for them, to see if we could ascertain a ballpark =
value.
    The case was refinished, and it appears to have also been re-pinned =
and re-strung, he said about 20-30 years ago.  Whoever did it did what =
looks like a credible job.  The piano is beautiful.  Plate either =
re-painted or just in good appearance, no cracks that I could see in =
either the plate or the soundboard.  I got under it and saw several =
cracks in the keybed.
    The action had hammers sticking up, so I didn't even want to take =
the time to remove the action, or risk breaking off hammers.  I would =
assume that the action would need to be completely restored.  There were =
damper levers way out of line (easily seen because they are on the top =
side of the plate), and 3 damper lifters (?) out of their guide rail =
holes, just laying on top of the plate.  The ivories were in very good =
condition.
    Can anyone out there give me their opinion on what I should do for a =
value, and what it would cost to restore the action?  Or maybe someone =
out there is interested in purchasing this piano for restoration =
purposes?  I tried to explain to them that the value of this was as a =
collector's item, not so much as an instrument, but they wanted me to do =
the research for them.  It is a beautiful piece, and if the number is =
indeed the serial number, it is between 1875 and 1880, with the carved =
legs and music desk.

Anyone responding may respond privately to: clarks11628@juno.com, or on =
the list if they so desire.  Thanks to all!

Clark Sprague, RPT
                                                                 =20