Perspectives

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 22:51:20 -0400

As I've mentioned before, pianos can be a cross between a pet and a car. =
 Like a car, it requires periodic maintenance.  Like a pet, it is a =
member of the family.  Like both, they age and eventually pass on, =
especially if their health needs had been neglected over the years.

I suppose one can argue that inanimate objects can be restored, but the =
more neglected they were during their useful years, the harder the =
restoration job would be if it was at all possible.  Now if money were =
no object and the customer was not concerned with the dollar value of =
the piano after the restoration, then we're dealing with something else =
altogether.  I think what's happening here is that the customer was =
crushed to learn that her piano was now worthless when it had been a =
source of blessed family happiness for so many years in the past.

Just my 2 cents ..

Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, August 06, 2001 11:46 PM
  Subject: Re: Perspectives

  In a message dated 8/6/01 8:18:19 PM Central Daylight Time, =
jstuart1@pdq.net=20
  writes:=20

    Maybe I am just still to new at this but I feel really bad about =
telling=20
    the lady about the sound board and fully realizing that I felt much =
the=20
    same as she only a few short months ago.=20

  As Jim said, don't take it personally and don't be too rough on =
yourself. You=20
  are going to run across this situation many times in your life. It's =
tough to=20
  give this kind of news, and it hurts even more when the customer does =
react=20
  the way yours did. But at the same time, it is part of our job to be =
honest=20
  with the customer, and tell her what the problems are with the piano. =
I think=20
  if you express exactly how you feel, as you described it, the customer =
will=20
  most likely accept the news better.=20

  Willem=20