HEART ATTACK

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Wed, 08 Aug 2001 10:25:59 -0400

I have taken CPR about 10 times over the last 35 years, but I never got
instruction on what to do if I was alone and had a heart attack.

Please read this and pass it on.  It may save a life.

I didn't know this, did you?

Let's say it's 6:15 p.m. and you're driving home (alone of course) after and
usually hard day on the job.  You're really tired, upset and frustrated.
Suddenly you start experiencing severe pain in your chest that starts to radiate
out into your arm and up into your jaw.

You are only about five miles from the nearest hospital nearest your home,
unfortunately you don't know if you'll be able to make it that far.  What can
you do?You've been trained in CPR but the guy that taught the course neglected
to tell you how to perform it on yourself HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK WHEN
ALONE.

Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart attack, this article seemed
in order.  Without help, the person who heart stops beating properly and who
begins to feel faint, has only about 10 seconds left before losing
consciousness.  However, these victims can help themselves by coughing
repeatedly and very vigorously.  A deep breath should be taken before each
cough, and the cough must be deep and prolonged, as when producing sputum from
deep inside the chest.  A breath and a cough must be repeated about every two
seconds without let up until help arrives, or until the heart is to be beating
normally again.  Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements
squeeze the heart and keep the blood circulating.

The squeezing pressure on the heart also helps it regain normal rhythm.  In this
way, heart attack victims can get to a hospital.  Tell as many other it could
save their lives!

>From Health Cares, Rochester General Hospital via Chapter 240's newsletter AND
THE BEAT GOES ON...(reprint form the Mended Hearts, Inc.  publication, Heart
Response)

BE A FRIEND AND PLEASE SEND THIS ARTICLE
TO AS MANY FRIENDS AND FAMILY AS POSSIBLE.