Grand Action Rebuild Time

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 14:30:21 -0400

Hello rebuilding types! Anyone care to give an estimate for time required to
rebuild a 1926 all-original Steinway L action? (No damper work - just the
stuff attached to the keyframe & stack.) I plan on new hammers, shanks,
flanges, wippens, backchecks, keypins, action frame felt, key bushings. How
long would it take to install all these properly with appropriate traveling,
spacing, alignment, a good look at action geometry at the onset, right on
through to a good final regulation to finish. Using Joe Garrett's labor
guide I calculate about 65 hours. I'm sure it will take longer than that for
me because I have only done a few actions. But still 65 hours seems like
quite a bit. Charging full price would put labor fees over $3,000. Add parts
to it and you have more than $5,000 to do a standard action rebuilding. More
if you want to incorporate Stanwood techniques, etc. This seems very high
priced to me (but maybe I just don't know what to expect). How many hours
would you experienced types allot for doing this work. Thanks.

Terry Farrell