twilight zone

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Thu, 09 Aug 2001 00:30:55 -0600

At 08:31 PM 8/8/01 -0700, Susan wrote:

>I need a firewall! Any current information on which one I should try?

Zone Alarm... without question. http://www.zonealarm.com/

To check to see if you need a firewall or if yours is working, go to
http://www.grc.com  and look for "Shields Up!". You'll be surprised at how
vulnerable your system is.

>And will a firewall keep some hacker from getting into personal data
>when I post to a message board? Someone did, recently. Very unsettling,
>for sure!

That depends on the circumstances. It'll stop a hacker from using an unused
port to gain access to your computer.

>I turn off the cable modem when I'm not actively using it.

Good plan I suppose. You're still vulnerable if it's on.

> From the very time I started reading pianotech, I've noticed that my
>posts are delayed getting back to me. Often someone has answered before
>my own posts arrive in the In Box.

That was a common complaint with cable modems here. They've supposedly
fixed that by opening a new multimillion dollar facility. We'll see.

>All these little electrons! Sneaky little critters, fast as lightning,
>will go anywhere, do anything, whether or not you want them to ...

Be protected... get Zone Alarm. It's free for non-commercial use.

                         John

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
mailto: john@musselwhite.com    http://www.mp3.com/fatbottom