switching arms

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 01:03:09 -0600

> Has anyone switched arms berfore? Any tips?
I certainly haven't!  I've enough trouble with the two I
have..................       I tune uprights left handed and grands right
handed. Why?   I certainly can't make a case for it.  Just works for me.
les bartlett
houston

I also tune uprights left handed and grands right handed (it's just the way
I learned).   For most of the tuning, my hammer is between noon and 2
o'clock on a grand, and between 10 and 1 on an upright.  When I get up to
the highest octave of a grand, I usually sit "around the corner" so I can
still have the hammer between about 11 and 1 o'clock -- any farther to the
right and it hits the case.  But if the treble end of the piano is against
the wall, I can't sit around the corner.  So I'll tune the last few unisons
left handed, with an underhanded grip, essentially the same grip I use when
tuning verticals, but as though the vertical were lying on its back.  I have
finer control this way because I'm used to using that grip on verticals.  I
need to practice doing it with my hand on top of the lever, however.   Not
easy -- like trying to brush your teeth or write with the hand you never use
for those tasks.
    I almost never have to tune anything right handed on a vertical.  Maybe
once in a great while when the bass end of the piano is against the wall, I
might have to switch hands for the lowest few notes, but rarely.  Then I
tune those using my "grand grip", reaching up and over, as though a grand
were standing up on end with the key fronts facing the floor.  I find this
extremely awkward, as the right shoulder, upper arm and elbow are raised up
high.  I realize many tuners tune verticals this way all the time.  I can do
it, but not with as much accuracy, and it feels totally unnatural.  Tuning
left handed, the left shoulder can be more relaxed and  the elbow at your
side, rather than up in the air.
     I tune quite a few more verticals than grands, but at least there are
enough grands to offer some variation.  I don't see much need to be able to
tune either type of piano with either hand unless you never tune uprights or
never tune grands -- then it might help to switch off now and then.  But
even switching hands or positions won't necessarily prevent repetitive
motion stress/injury unless you're doing other things to avoid it, such as
good posture, relaxed shoulders, wrist brace, key pounder, slow, natural
breathing, stretching/relaxation exercises, etc.          Sincerely, David
Nereson, RPT