Restoring old uprights

RCzekay@AOL.COM RCzekay@AOL.COM
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 21:14:41 EDT

I know this might sound a little far out, but is it possible to replace a pin
block in an old upright piano without completely tearing the back apart?
Also, over the years I have heard that there is a method that entails
removing the plate and filling the pin holes with Plexiglas and reboring.
Would appreciate hearing from anyone who is familiar with this.

I have been rebuilding and restringing old players and regular uprights for
many years for customers who want to preserve their grandparents pianos and
pass them on to another generation with great success, but once in a while I
run into one where oversized pins just don't do the job to my satisfaction,
and am looking for a better solution.

Replacing the pin block in a grand is pretty well cut and dried, I have done
it many times also, but with uprights it is different story.

Thanks in advance,

Roy Czekay
Milwaukee, WI