Sat, 11 Aug 2001 14:10:01 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Airy" <stephen_airy@yahoo.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: August 11, 2001 12:04 PM

> I was wondering about something. I know of a piano
> that has a 56" A1 string length.
>
> My question is --
>
> Where would you say the bass/treble break would be and
> what note would the lowest plain trichord be on such a
> piano?
>
> I will say that the wound bichords start at note G
> (11) (there are 10 wound monochords).
>
> I already know the answer to this question -- I was
> just wondering what you think it would be?

Are you asking us to guess where the break actually is on some piano you
have in mind given the speaking length of A-1 and the number of mono-chords?

Or are you asking where it should be given good scaling practices. The two
might be quite different.

If the former, I can think of at least one piano having these approximate
specifications that breaks at E-20/F-21. But I wouldn't call that good
scaling practice. If the latter then the break could be anywhere from
B-27/C-28 to E-32/F-33.

The difference will reflect the designer's and/or the manufacturer's
acoustical or musical goals. A long, high-tension scale will break quite
differently from a short, low tension scale. Neither will be the "right"
scale nor the "wrong" scale. They will simply be different. Which scaling
philosophy was used in the piano you have in mind is impossible to determine
from the incomplete and inadequate information given.

In other words, there is no "proper" answer to your question. Not, at least,
without knowing quite a bit more about the designer/builders intentions.

Del