Small Bridge Pin Source

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 21:56:45 -0400

> Terry: what sort of scale tensions are we talking about here?

I'm not a scaler yet. Can only handle so much new info at a time! The small
(0.068") pins are on notes #48 through #88. At #48 I have 0.040" wire with a
speaking length of 40.8 cm. At #58 I have 0.036" wire with a speaking length
of 23.4 cm. At #68 I have 0.034" wire with a speaking length of 12.6 cm. At
#78 I have 0.032" wire with a speaking length of 7.1 cm. And at #88 I have
0.031" wire with a speaking length of 4.9 cm.

What are these tensions? What is the formula that you use? (I've just never
looked into it yet - but it is time for me to start dabbling with this
stuff.) Are these tensions generally considered high, medium, low or other?

> and what's the stagger angle across the bridge?

Ain't about to drop the plate back on to answer this one, and I have already
planed the bridge top down, just removing most of the string scars (not that
that would tell me all I need to know), re-notched and dagged the tops. My
recollection is that the stagger is very small......just went out to shop to
give a quick looksee - stagger angle appears very small (aiming at the
appropriate plug from the bridge pin hole and guessing at the necessary
stagger to make it around the rear pin). Maybe only a few degrees at best in
places. Put that together with my recollection and overall I think I have
relatively little stagger across the bridge.

What do you usually shoot for? I recall Ron O. saying he likes what he gets
with a 20 degree pin inclination and a good 10 degree stagger angle. I
believe he was referring to his first piano - a modified Samick 225.

Fortunately, this piano is all for show and maybe a few Christmas carols!

Terry Farrell