Schomacker grands

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 17:10:31 0000

Years ago I saw a grand piano that had a wooden inner rim but with
frame bracing that was a separate iron casting that was screwed to the
inner rim.  I believe that this piano was a Schomacker.  Have you seen
this feature on Schomacker grands?

Phil

---
Phillip Ford
Piano Service & Restoration
1777 Yosemite Ave
San Francisco, CA  94124

On Sun, 12 Aug 2001 08:21:27
 VOCE88 wrote:
>In a message dated 8/11/01 10:50:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, rrg@nevada.edu
>writes:
>

>> What I didn't expect to find is the remarkable quality of
>> this instrument.  Verbatim this piano is a virtual cross
>> between a Steinway M and a Mason & Hamlin A.  The case and
>> action were M&H through and through.  Even the music rack
>> had those typical Mason & Hamlin rounded fronts and the
>>

>Dear Rob,
>
>Being in Philly, we come across this piano on a regular basis, (it was built
>here) and you are absolutely right about the quality of construction. In
>fact, I have never heard a better sounding 6'1" piano than a rosewood 1897
>Schomacker that we rebuilt a few years back.
>
>If the strings are original they were wound with gold instead of copper.
>
>Thanks for the post.
>
>Richard Galassini
>Cunningham Piano Co. & Factory
>Philadelphia, Pa.