bridge pin material

larudee@pacbell.net larudee@pacbell.net
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 11:05:26 -0700

David,

I'm amazed no one else replied to your post (at least not to the list).
Mine isn't much of a response, but I guess everyone agrees that the
material has to at least be softer than the wire.  Better to have
grooves in the pin than in the wire.  Why not brass or bronze?  Better
rendering?  I don't know.

Along the same line, Boesendorfer now uses an agraffe with a steel wire
driven through it above the holes to reinforce them.  It can't possibly
make the brass any stronger, and if the string cuts through to the steel
then it's liable to mar the string.  What's the thinking there?

Fazioli uses a bronze rod set in a groove in its capo section.  I think
bearing material is a great subject for discussion.

Paul Larudee