Open face vs. closed face pin blocks

larudee@pacbell.net larudee@pacbell.net
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 15:19:50 -0700

Great response, Phil, and perhaps that really is the thinking behind it.  If so,
however, do you really think it works as intended?  In the first place, the front flange
is a sort of I beam itself, with the serif portions of the I being the plate struts on
either side, which strengthen it.  Second, the sans serif portion of the I runs parallel
to string tension, giving it added strength and stiffness in that direction.  Cast iron
has very little tensile strength, anyway, and if it were capable of giving at all, it
might be more likely to break.

Another point to consider is that only a small proportion of the string energy is going
to reach the front flange and pin block area of the plate.  If everything is working
right, most of it will be absorbed through the bridge, and the next largest portion
partly reflected and partly absorbed by the capo bar.  Only a small remainder will get
through to flange and pin block.

Even if it does work as intended, we need to remember that the tuning pins are 3 or 4
times farther above the pin block in a closed design and that string tension is
therefore exerting that much more leverage upon them.  To the extent that string energy
might be absorbed by the pinblock/plate in an open face design, wouldn't it be at least
as likely to be absorbed by the flex of the tuning pins in a closed design?

I am to some extent playing devil's advocate here, because I'm sort of half convinced of
your argument, but would like someone to remove my remaining doubts.

Paul Larudee