The Piano Technician's Library

Mike and Jane Spalding mjbkspal@execpc.com
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 21:35:27 -0500

Clyde,

I would heartily agree with all of your selections.  Under "PTG =
publications of interest" I would definitely list the reprint books and =
the 20yr CD.

I recently was given a book which, while definitely not essential for =
the modern tech, is very interesting.  "Construction, Tuning, and Care =
of the Piano-Forte:  A Book for Tuners, Dealers, Teachers, and Owners of =
Pianos and Organs" by Edward Quincy Norton.  Copyright 1887 by Oliver =
Dutson & Co.  A sample from the first chapter:  "The principal =
difference between the old English action, and the present so called =
French action of the modern square piano is, that , in place of the =
rocker and jack of the latter, the English action has what is called the =
"fly", fastened by parchment hinge into a base, which in turn, is =
mortised and glued solidly into the key."  Is it any wonder most of us =
avoid working on squares? =20

Mike

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Clyde Hollinger=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, August 13, 2001 7:22 PM
  Subject: The Piano Technician's Library

  Friends,=20
  I am wading through "The Original Bluebook of Pianos," but it may be a =
week or so before I send you my impressions.  But it did get me to =
thinking --  Are there some books or resources that all of us should =
have in our libraries for reference?  Of course there would be some =
variation, depending on the particular branch of piano technology we are =
into.=20

  For starters, the following are either significant to me now or were =
at some time in the past.=20

  Business Resource Manual published by PTG=20
  Music Product Directory, Acoustic Piano Edition, Ancott Associates=20
  The Piano Book by Larry Fine=20
  Piano Parts and Their Functions compiled by Merle Mason=20
  Piano Servicing, Tuning and Rebuilding by Arthur Reblitz=20
  Pierce Piano Atlas=20
  The PTG Exams: A Sourcebook (technical edition)=20
  Repair Labor Guide by Joseph Garrett=20
  catalogues from Schaff, Pianotek, etc.=20
  professional service manuals from major piano manufacturers=20
  plus any of the PTG publications of interest=20

  Input, anyone?=20

  Regards,=20
  Clyde Hollinger, RPT=20
  Lititz, PA, USA=20