Pseudo-Ivory Keytops

Laura Olsen laura257@chicagonet.net
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 22:57:51 -0500

Hi, Terry!
I've used white shoe polish, the liquid type.  I've heard of folks using
White-Out in a pinch, but I've found that kind of globs up.  White shoe
polish with the sponge applicator has served me well and I'm not aware of
any keytops that have come unglued in a dozen years or so. Does anyone know
any problems this might cause?
Laura Olsen,RPT

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of bases-loaded@juno.com
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2001 9:28 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Pseudo-Ivory Keytops

Hi Terry -

I had a set of the Vagias "Ivory " keytops put on a turn-of-the-century
Mason & Hamlin upright a few months ago.  I think they really look great,
especially compared to what the lily white keytops look like on an
instrument from this time period.   Just my opinion.  I hired the work
done by Mark Ritchie, RPT, here in Columbus.  His wife actually does the
key recovery and does very good work.  I don't know what she did to
whiten the background, but if you would like to talk to her, let me know.

I can't think of any reason why a light coat of white lacquer applied to
the tops of the keys before recovering wouldn't work.

Or tinting the glue white.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com