Plateless Wonder

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 19:41:24 +0200

Hi Folks... still hang'n out here in the dark with no posts from
pianotech...sheeshh I sure do miss you guys... (grin... I know I
know... nobody misses me but hey....what can I say.....I miss you
all :))

To the problem however. I ran into this straight strung Broderne
Hals piano today that had no iron plate at all. This is an
overdamper piano and I usually just walk away but...well let me
expound.

Its been restrung with new pins (new string material includeing new
bass strings) and its been given new key tops...the one piece with
fronts sort..

What alarmed me and why I am consulting you all is that the fellow
who did the work pulled it all the way up to 440.. Its been at that
pitch I understand for about 2 months and has been shipped up from
the south of Norway to boot in that time. I am going back in a
couple days to bring the pitch down but I wanted to get suggestions
as to how far to take this down. The piano was built around 1880,
there is an iron bar to hold the hitch pins for the bass and lowest
treble notes. Otherwise all hitch pins are in wood. I also would
like to know a bit more what to tell her about what damage has
probably been done and what to expect further. At present it is
reasonably in tune at 440... suprisingly enough.

I probably should run from this job but the poor gal just paid
roughly 1500 dollars and its a beautifull old case that looks really
fine, and it is actually playable and...well shoot I just didnt have
the heart to leave her crying..

Any and all advice would be greatfully appreciated. Please send me
private responses as that seems to be about the only thing coming in
for the time being...

Thanks folks.
--
Richard Brekne