Schomacker iron frame

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 15:58:59 0000

Richard,
I'm glad to know that I haven't completely lost my mind.  I thought that the iron frame brace idea seemed like a good one.  Sort of like a non-adjustable
tension resonator.  Strong and stable.  I wonder if there is some acoustical
disadvantage in not having any wooden frame braces?

Phil

---
Phillip Ford
Piano Service & Restoration
1777 Yosemite Ave
San Francisco, CA  94124

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001 21:26:36
 VOCE88 wrote:
>In a message dated 8/13/01 1:17:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>fordpiano@lycos.com writes:
>

>> Years ago I saw a grand piano that had a wooden inner rim but with
>> frame bracing that was a separate iron casting that was screwed to the
>> inner rim.  I believe that this piano was a Schomacker.  Have you seen
>> this feature on Schomacker grands?
>>
>> Phil
>>

>Hello Phil,
>
>These were made later, I believe. We haven't rebuilt any of these nor do I
>know much about them. Schomacker did this at one point, though.
>
>You aren't dreaming.
>

>Richard Galassini
>Cunningham Piano Co. & Factory
>Philadelphia, Pa.