Open face vs. closed face pin blocks

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 21:30:47 0000

Del,
     I agree that much of what I have said here seems like theoretical rambling.
In theory I believe that a case could be made for the closed face pinblock
but my personal experience has been, like yours by what I read here, that
I prefer tuning an open face pinblock and I haven't noticed problems with
tuning stability, tone, or power although my experience with these pianos
is not extensive.  Probably there is some lower limit on the amount of
stiffness required to give what we now consider good tone and acceptable
tuning stability and once you are beyond that it doesn't really matter how
you achieve it.  So, an adequate open face design is just as good as an
adequate closed face design and the choice between them comes down
to other matters, such as how you feel about ease or pleasure of tuning,
or how you feel about how closely you need to copy a Steinway design.
At this point I think that if I was building a piano I would lean towards an
open face design.
     I feel that a stronger theoretical case could be made for capo vs.
agraffes but once again my personal experience has been that there
are some fine pianos with agraffes all the way to the top so it's pretty
hard for me to say that the capo design should be better.  It's too
bad that there are so many variables that it's hard to isolate these specific
things so that they can be studied.  It would be nice (in some ways) to
build two pianos that were exactly the same except for the one thing that
you wanted to study. I can add this to my ever expanding wish list.

Phil

---
Phillip Ford
Piano Service & Restoration

> [...]