Tuning Levers and Pins

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 21:10:13 EDT

In a message dated 8/15/01 7:57:16 PM Central Daylight Time,
dont_b_flat88@yahoo.com (Delton, Jr. Eason) writes:

> I'm new in the piano tuning business, so I still have
> my student tuning lever that has a removable head.
>
> Problem:  I went to tune a Kimbally upright piano and
> the tuning pins are smaller than the tuning head I
> currently have.
>
> I know I need to get a new tuning lever; however, what
> can I do in the meantime to tune this piano?

I recommend getting the Schaff Piano Supply Catalog #17N.  It is a specially
designed, narrow walled (the "N" is for "narrow") one piece head and tip
which is designed to fit in especially tight places where the tuning pins are
crowded too close together or where a tuning pin is too close to the plate.
This tip will fit where others do not.

It has two more distinctions which make it a very useful alternative tip:  it
has a smaller diameter socket which will serve the need you have presently.
It is also a little longer than my usual tip, so I use it when I need a tip
which will clear unusually high plate struts.  I always use my 17N tip when
my usual tip feels too loose, when the plate struts are unusually high or
when the pins are too close together or too near a plate strut.  It is always
a wise investment to buy a tool which will serve more than one purpose.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin