Lighten Touch

Jon Page jon.page@verizon.net
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 22:23:27 -0400

At 09:12 PM 08/15/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>There are many causes for a heavy touch. One of the main reasons on an older
>grand is that the knuckles over the years of use have become flattened, thus
>the jack, instead of smoothly releasing, gets hung up on the flat surface,
>and it takes a little extra pressure with the finger, which gives it a heavy
>feel. You can check this out by slowly depressing any key, and if the jack
>seems to get hung up, and not smoothly releasing before the key is fully
>depressed, that is your problem. Reshaping the knuckles and adding a little
>graphite, or replacing them should make a big difference.

Graphite does not belong on knuckles. A better powder to place on them is
Teflon.
Graphite in suspension is suitable to apply to the repetition lever but it
then needs to
be burnished after it has dried.

Graphite is NOT to be used on knuckles.  I can't think of a single place
where powdered
graphite could be used in a piano.

Other areas for friction are key bushings and the balance rail hole. The
Key Bushing Iron
available from Pianotek is the best tool for sizing the bushings and the
Yamaha tool
for easing the hole down through the key button. Teflon powder can be
brushed into the
bushings for lubrication, Protek on the key pins.

Hammer flange friction is another primary source for high touchweight.
Wippen flanges are
secondary. Then  there's always reducing the weight of the hammers by
filing and/or tapering
to lower touchweight.  Beyond that you need to replace parts for a better
action geometry.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.