new hammers

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:35:07 -0400

Dave Nereson wrote:

> To those of you who replace a lot of hammers:
>     What are the densest hammers "out there" now, i.e., which brand is most
> likely to brighten up or increase power and/or volume?
>     I've used Abel once and Ronsen once, and was pleased, but this time need
> brightness.  What's the difference between Renner and Renner "Blues"?   Are
> the "Hamburg Steinway" hammers in the APSCO catalog actually Steinway?  I
> thought Hamburg Steinway used Renner hammers (?).
>     Have also used Imadegawa once, a long time ago, and they were fairly
> dense, but don't know what they're like nowdays.
>     Thanks for any info.  Sincerely, David Nereson, RPT, Denver

Now you did it!  You went and opened this can of worms again!  :)

You may not assume that weight, power and brightness are the same or are
directly coupled to each other.

First search the archives at http://www.ptg.org/archive/pianotech.php/
 and search for heavy hammers.

Also read Bill Ballard's post of know how and peripheral issues.

You need to think this through, consider the problems that abound and explain
what and why you need something different than is there.  What piano, what
venue, what bore specs, what hammer weights, what key weights.  There are a lot
of issues that have to be taken into account when you replace hammers on any
piano.

If all you want is brightness then use Ronson's and dope the hammers with
lacquer and wait three weeks between applications.  Bear in mind that once you
have overloaded the hammers it is a real problem getting them back down.

So I would use the best quality hammer I can get, Abel, Isaac, Renner, finely
regulate the action, level strings and do some minor voicing and wait a year.
The hammers you put on will NOT be the same in a year, they tend to open up.

If this is a performance piano you really _really_ have to do it right and know
what you are doing as you do it.

Super hard hammers break strings.

Lots of luck.

		Newton