Open face vs. closed face pin blocks

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 22:05:55 0000

I checked my notes.  This is not from a handout but from a note that
I wrote down myself.  Gray iron 35 ksi.  I could have made a mistake.

I checked a couple of engineering references.  Representative numbers
are:

ASTM A 48  Class 20 to Class 60 with tensile strengths of
20000 to 60000 psi.

So, 35000 psi is certainly well within this range.  It would depend on the
specific 'recipe' that Kelly is using.  Also, I don't know if they use the
same recipe for everyone's plates.  The different classes have different
microstructure with some changes in various properties that certain
manufacturers may want.  For instance, I believe damping capacity and
machinability increase as you move down in class and strength, stiffness,
and wear resistance go up as you move up in class.

A couple of references if you are interested:

http://www.ironcasting.org/Gray%20Iron%20-%20A%20Unique%20Material.htm

http://www.castingsource.com/tech_art_grayiron.asp

Phil
---

> [...]