Tuning a Player Piano

Jon Page jon.page@verizon.net
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 20:22:54 -0400

At 07:55 PM 08/16/2001 -0300, you wrote:
>Hi Delton,
>
>Firstly, ask for a roll, and make sure it works. Nothing worse than having
>someone say, "it worked before you tuned it".
>I always take off the upperassembly, it makes it so much, easier to tune.
>I do charge extra for dissassembly and reassembly.
>Make sure to mark the tubes you remove, so you know where to replace them.
>Too bad, you hadn't realized this situation, might arise, as you could have
>borrowed Arthur Reblitz, Player Piano Servicing and Rebuilding, from a
>library.
>This is a good book, and gives you an indication, of what to expect.
>In fact, buy it, and you may find that you enjoy working on them. Another
>source of income.
>
>Regards,
>John M. Ross

John,
Evidently the tubing in your neck of the woods lasts better than around here.
Old players' tubing is more like macaroni than rubber and any attempt to
remove the tubing either crumbles or destroys the molded fit to the nipple.

Become familiar with players before you start dismantling them in
customer's homes.

An once of 'I better not' is worth a pound of "I though it could..."

Get your own player and take it apart.

Good Luck,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.